Our Big Bend Hospice AmeriCorps Program allows Volunteers to spend time with local Veterans and give their loved ones much-needed support!
Legacy Corps is a national AmeriCorps program administered by Arizona State University that supports family caregivers with respite care. Big Bend Hospice’s Legacy Corps program offers our volunteer support services to Veterans and military-affiliated families in our Hospice and Transitions Supportive Care programs. Member Volunteers provide support services on a consistent weekly basis (8-12 hours of service per week) to decrease caregiver burden and stress, and in return receive valuable experiences and member benefits such as a monthly stipend and education award scholarship.
Member Volunteers Benefits
- A MONTHLY stipend of $190
- An Education Award of $1,718 upon successful completion of the year of service
- Extensive training & professional development
- Loan Forbearance (with paid interest)
- Members 55 and up can pass on their education award to a family member!
- Must be 18+ y/o and a US Citizen, National or Legal Resident
- Requires a 1-year commitment (Sept-Aug) of 8-12 hours a week (450 total).
- Must pass 2 background screenings & 2-step TB Test
- Must have reliable transportation & proof of insurance; personal cell phone
Want to learn more?
Fill out our BBH AmeriCorps Volunteer Interest Form!
*Application window will open in early summer, please complete the Interest Form above to be contacted when the window opens!
Please submit copies of the following documents along with your completed AmeriCorps application:
- Driver’s License/State Issued ID
- Birth Certificate, or US PASSPORT, or LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIEN CARD
- HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, or GED, or COLLEGE DEGREE, or HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA VOUCHER, if any are complete
- Social Security Card
- Auto Insurance
- Copy of Covid Vaccination Card (or proof of full vaccination status must be provided before in-home service may begin)